Peace Brigades International field team volunteers are from all over the globe, from different cultures and belief systems, but they all share one thing in common: a strong commitment to nonviolence and a belief that ordinary people can contribute to creating a more peaceful and just world. If you share this commitment and want to embark on a life-changing experience that will take you into conflict areas and introduce you to some of the most courageous people on the planet, then you could be our next field volunteer.
What do our field teams do?
Our teams seek to encourage, by means of an international, nonviolent and nonpartisan presence, a peaceful resolution of conflicts in the local area.
Our teams offer;
- Moral support and protective accompaniment to human rights defenders and groups threatened with violence;
- Continuous analysis of the political situation by listening to the widest possible range of viewpoints and experiences while respecting needs for confidentiality;
- Reports to the international human rights movement with an impartial analysis of the situation as seen from the field; and
- Regular meetings with local and national civil and military authorities and embassies to raise concerns regarding human rights abuses as they affect those we accompany.
Our volunteers are provided with;
- A profound experience of working with an international peace and human rights organization committed to transforming ideals into practical action;
- Specialized training in protective accompaniment based on over 30 years of experience working to protect human rights and defenders;
- The experience of living and working in a close-knit team of volunteers from many different countries and backgrounds;
- A unique first-hand insight into the intense pressures faced by human rights defenders and their resilience and courage;
- One year of field experience, including close contact with local NGOs and communities; and
- Stipends and expenses paid once on a project.
Luis Guillermo Pérez Casas, Lawyers Collective José Alvear Restrepo (Colombia) “I can say with certainty that if we are still alive, it is mainly because of PBI's work.”